Tenants Property Search
Our aim is to find you the perfect property to suit your requirements. At Milestone & Collis we listen and talk you through the properties that are suitable. We will keep you updated about any new properties coming onto our books that meet your requirements and you will be assigned a specific negotiator who will be looking after you through this process.
We want all our applicants and tenants to have a caring experience. As we understand that work commitments and time are sometimes not on your side, we will try and offer outside office hours viewings and will guide you through the process to make it as simple and stress free as possible.
We make sure that the properties we offer meet all the legal requirements. These checks are done before any agreement is made with the Landlord to market and/ or manage their property. We are ARLA members (Association of Residential Lettings agents) and are governed by a code of practice which provides a framework of ethical and professional standards at a level far higher than the law demands.
Important Aspects That Every Tenant needs to Know Before Renting
- It is a legal obligation to provide you with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property you wish to rent.
- It is a legal obligation to have a current Gas Safety Certificate in the property if the property has gas.
- It is a legal obligation to protect tenants' deposits under the terms of an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. You must be informed of the scheme that is being used within 14 days of the agent or landlord accepting a deposit, or they face a fine. Milestone & Collis are members of the "Tenancy Deposit Scheme".
- You will be in a much stronger position to argue against claims on your deposit if there is an inventory in place. Milestone & Collis will always arrange for an independent photographic inventory company to be present at your check in and check out.
- The reference process will check your affordability and look into your credit history. What you think you can afford and what you can actually afford are two different things when using a reference company. Milestone & Collis will advise you of this process at the offer stage in case guarantors are required.
- Most Tenancy Agreements run for 12 months. Milestone & Collis will talk you though all the options that will best suit your needs and lifestyle.
- All our rents are subject to agency fees. Milestone & Collis will explain the fees and payment process and can assure you that we have no hidden fees or costs.
- Management of the property will be either through the Landlord direct or the managing agent but always make sure that you can contact them 24/7.
- Utility Bills are the tenants responsibility during the tenancy term. Some rents do include some bills but should be clearly stated when you first do a viewing.
Guidance Notes for Prospective Tenants
Once your offer has been accepted by the Landlord it is subject to contract and satisfactory references.
Tenant References & Checks:
Tenants should be advised that Milestone & Collis require all persons above 18 years old to undertake reference checks via our referencing partners VAN MILDERT. These will include employment, previous landlords and/or letting agent reference, credit check, bank verification and proof of identity and residency. Please contact a member of the Lettings Team should you have any queries regarding your references or how to complete the Tenancy Application. All reference applications will be forwarded to you by email for you to complete electronically.
Holding Deposits & References
Milestone & Collis will require a holding deposit once a deal with a landlord has been agreed subject to contract and satisfactory references. This Holding Deposit is NON REFUNDABLE. Should you decide to withdraw your application or fail any of your references, no refund will be made.
In the unlikely event of the landlord withdrawing from the application, a full refund will be made to you by cheque within 5 working days.
Tenants are liable for certain costs when renting a property. All of which are detailed below:
Holding Deposit: secures the property during the reference period
Reference Costs per tenant £60.00
Reference Cost per guarantor £60.00
Administration Fee per property £180.00
Check in Fee per property
Studio & One Bedroom Flat £60.00
Two Bedroom Flat £70.00
Three Bedroom Flat £80.00
Four Bedroom + Flat £95.00
One Bedroom House £70.00
Two Bedroom House £80.00
Three Bedroom House £90.00
Four Bedroom + House £105.00
Check out Fee (per property payable at the end of the Tenancy)
Studio & One Bedroom Flat/House £60.00
Two Bedroom Flat/House £70.00
Three Bedroom Flat/House £80.00
Four Bedroom + Flat/House £95.00
Renewal / extension of agreement admin fee (per property) £120.00
Late payment Charge of Rent £30.00
Returned / Declined Payment £30.00
NB: Fees are subject to change during a tenancy.
When you place a holding deposit on a property we will provide you with a statement detailing all the initial rent charges, security deposit amount as well as any fees or other applicable charges in order to commence your tenancy.
IMPORTANT NOTE - We MUST have cleared funds in full 48 hours before the commencement of your tenancy at the very latest. We recommend a bank transfer via either BACS, CHAPS or by making an online transfer. Please bear in mind these can take up to 5 working days to clear. We advise you always check with your own bank for advice on the best route. Our client accounts are held with Natwest Bank Plc. Alternatively you can provide us with a bankers draft made payable to Milestone & Collis. Please note cash and personal cheques are NOT ACCEPTED. It is important to put a reference on any transfer into our account so that our accounts team are able to allocate the credit to your property account. The reference should include your surname and the first line of the property address you are applying to rent.
At the end of your tenancy should you decide to renew your agreement for a further period of occupation there will be an administration charge of £120 inc VAT to draw up the new agreement.
- Milestone & Collis is legally obliged to confirm tenants' identification and normal residential address and accordingly will need to see and take copies of your passport or National identity card or some other photographic proof of identity plus a recent utility bill (not mobile phone), council tax bill or driving licence as proof of current address.
- The Council Tax is the responsibility of the Tenant. The amount payable will depend upon the area, the size of the property and the number of occupants. It is your responsibility to enquire as to the amount per annum you will be liable, this information will be given to you by Milestone & Collis if asked.
- We are not permitted to arrange the telephone service on your behalf, so you will need to make the necessary arrangements in advance. If the telephone supplier is British Telecom, then you can dial '150'. If it is an alternative supplier, we will endeavour to advise you. Please be aware that we accept no liability for the disconnection or connection of any service.
- Tenants must obtain a T.V Licence if they have a television. Forms may be obtained from the Post Office.
- No cable, aerial or satellite receiver may be affixed to the property without the Landlord's prior consent. Milestone & Collis will assist you in obtaining the Landlords permission prior to your move in.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your contents are insured. Contents insurance should cover you against the cost of replacing or repairing your own furniture, furnishings and other possessions that may be damaged or stolen.
Move in Day
- On the start date of your tenancy we will arrange an appointment with an Inventory Clerk (or the Landlord) for you to 'Check-In' to the property. At this time you will have the chance to check through the Inventory and check the initial utility meter readings. The Inventory forms part of the Tenancy Agreement, providing a legal record of the condition of the property and contents. It is important for your own protection that you check it very carefully. Once the Inventory check has been completed, you will be supplied with keys so you may start your 'move in' to your new home. At this point meter readings will be taken for your Gas/Electric and water ready for you to advise the utility companies to take over the supply in your name. Milestone & Collis will charge both the Landlord and the new Tenants a fee for this.